Roses have been associated with Chartwell in Kent and the Churchills for many years. Winston proposed to Clementine in the rose garden at Blenheim Palace and a rose garden did already exist at Chartwell before the family bought the house in 1922.
The present walled rose garden on the north side of the house was designed by Clementine's close friend and cousin Venetia Montagu. Together they created a traditional, formal English rose garden divided by paths into four beds and softened by a mass of perennials and shrubs in gentle colours.
In maintaining the garden The National Trust have tried where possible to use roses similar to the ones Lady Churchill would have used like Rosa Ice Cream and Rose Pink Parfait.
Working closely with The National Trust, PIERRA were employed to carry out essential stabilisation and consolidation work to the walls consisting of a combination of installing new concrete foundations either side of the arched opening connected to a Cintec anchor system, the re-building of collapsed sections of walling, the re-fixing of all the coping stones, the pinning of de-bonded sections of walls using stainless steel ties and the grouting and repointing of the walls.