Placed on Historic England’s ‘at risk’ register and awarded a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund and Historic England in 2013, work commenced on the tower in late summer 2015.
The tower of this Grade II listed church, dating from 1850, was built of brick and faced with coursed Kentish Rag stone and Bath stone dressings. PIERRA’s conservation team were responsible for large scale replacement, indenting and lime based mortar repairing of both the Kentish Rag stone facings and Bath stone dressings which had experienced severe weathering over the years leaving some areas of masonry dangerously unstable.
In conjunction with the repairs a large majority of the high level masonry was appropriately repointed with lime based mortar and and friable areas of masonry treated with a lime based shelter-coat. To the base of the spire and some isolated areas of stone capping, new lead coverings were installed to ensure the integrity of the Bath stone dressings was prolonged.
To add a touch of individuality to the project the client assigned PIERRA to replace one of the belfry hood mould label stops with a bespoke portrait carving of one of their longest serving parishioners.