Standing amid naturalistic plantings overlooking the Long Water, the Grade II listed ‘temple’, designed by William Kent for Queen Caroline, was built in 1734-35 and designed to be glimpsed down one of the avenues of trees which radiated out from the Round Pond in front of Kensington Palace. It was later converted to a park keeper’s home but restored to its use as a summer house in 1976.
Over the years the building had experienced numerous counts of vandalism and theft of lead and damage of slates to the main roof, bays and apses which had either to left open to the elements or patched over with roofing sub-standard roofing felt.
PIERRA removed any existing slate tiles to the main roof and north and south bays, carried out any necessary substrate repairs and were re-tiled using new Welsh slate with the parapet walls clad with newly designed zinc cappings.
PIERRA then designed and installed new bespoke curved zinc cappings to both the north and south apses.